Sunday, June 15, 2014

Final Summary

Image provided by www.worldatlas.com
Low Country and Sea Islands Summary


            The Low Country and Sea Islands on the East Coast of the United States of America have a distinct and unique region, culture, and people. The region is, of course, close to the sea and low to sea level. When I first heard about the trip, I never imagined it would turn out like it did. The trip was way more than I ever could have expected. I loved most if not all of the activities that the group did. Dr. Deal did a fantastic job of organizing and planning this May Term trip. We as a group really did immerse ourselves into the low country and Sea Islands. The cultures that we witnessed were just as unique as the landscape itself. My favorite culture by far was the Gullah-Geechee community at Pin Point Heritage Museum. The people at Pin Point really do care about and express their ancestral roots to the max. I love that they care for what they believe in as well as what they stand for. The people on the islands and in the low country are completely different. On Tybee Island, I met some locales and they were completely different than locales from Charleston. Charleston was relaxed and laid back but Tybee was even more relaxed and laid back. The Sea Islands are truly on island time because most are retired, elderly couples and they just want to enjoy the rest of the time they have on this earth while Charleston is a big city where people have to go and do stuff on a regular basis. I had been to both islands and big cities but the Sea Islands and Charleston are completely unique from their peers. I had never heard of the low country or the Sea Islands before this trip so I did not know what to expect. However, after this trip, I would always like to return to the Sea Islands for vacation or retirement. I fell in love with St. Simons Islands, and Tybee Island. Those two islands are vacation islands but nothing like Myrtle Beach or Daytona. On the Sea Islands, you get to experience vacation but on our own time and not on someone else’s. In Myrtle Beach, your day is dictated by the shows and restaurants in the area and what time they close and open. On St. Simons, you practically have all day to do what you want and I loved it. I will go back to the Sea Islands one day and hopefully it is for good. As for Charleston, I would not mind vacationing there or going on a cruise from there, but I would never want to live there. Overall, the trip was amazing and the time was memorable. Well, it has been a fun three weeks for me and the rest of the gang but this is Ryan Kluk signing off for the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment